Monday, December 6, 2010

Quote of the Week

Today's writing quote of the week is:

"A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer."
- Karl Kraus

Some writers know how their book will end before they even write the beginning. Some figure it out as they go. But one thing is for sure. It's not nearly as exciting to know that "Sally" did it, if we don't get to read the how, why and when. The riddle is the good part. The answer is just the perk at the end.

I just finished re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. This is a great example of making a riddle out of an answer. We know very early that Edmond Dantes was wrongly imprisoned, and that he wants vengeance. But watching the story unfold and discovering his complicated means of achieving that vengeance is the exciting part.

I know how my work in progress will end, but I'm still not sure how the middle of the story will go. I get to discover it as I go. Hopefully sooner than later!

This writing quote was taken from The Write Planner, a day planner designed for writers. Learn more about The Write Planner here.

5 comments:

Okie said...

Fabulous quote and great post. It's so true that the best story isn't necessarily about the wrap up, but more so about the experience.

Angie said...

Great quote. I'm like you. I usually know how the story begins and ends, but the middle is a little more muddy. It's fun getting there.

Cami Checketts said...

I love Alexandre Dumas. My 11yo and I can't get enough.
I love not knowing the end and letting my characters lead mw there.

Janet Johnson said...

Oooh, I LOVED the Count of Monte Cristo. Dumas is amazing with how he unfolds the plot. And to think he did it as a serial novel!

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi Kim! I've been missing you! Writing is fun and I also love the joy of the journey as I go.

Writing is full of magic and adventure and I'm sure glad to part of your world!

~Elizabeth :)