Thursday, March 17, 2011

Love of...Colin Firth

You've probably heard about this author named Jane Austin. Well, I'd heard of her too. But unlike so many readers and writers out there, I never had the "I love anything Jane Austin, especially Pride and Prejudice" bug bit me. 

I think I know why I never really connected with Miss Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy before now.

You see, I'm an audio book fan. It all began with the narrator for the Harry Potter series. That guy was amazing. And because I am able to listen to books while I work (they actually help me stay focused on that work!), I usually opt for the audio version of books if they are available.

Therein lies the problem.  I listened to Pride and Prejudice instead of actually reading it, and it didn't work for me. There are some stories that must be read. I would be willing to bet that the older the actual book itself is, the better.

So I listened to the story, but didn't fall in love.


Until now.

I present: 

Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, you need to. This is the 6 hour version. And yes, it's totally worth the 6 hours spend. (Though I think you'd have a hard time convincing my husband it was worth the 12 hours it took me to watch it twice. In 3 days.) I saw the Keira Knightley version from 2005 a few years ago. But this one is So Much Better!

Now, I can't wait to get my own copy of the original book and actually read it. Too bad it will probably have to be a newly printed version instead of one so old the pages are nearly falling away from the binding.

6 comments:

This Place is a Disaster! said...

I'm not sure that it's the "Pride and Prejudice" part that gets me . . . I think it's just the Colin Firth part that I love!!!!!!

Not really, I do love J. Austin in all of her works, I'm a sucker for romance, and sexual tension . . . And colin Firth. Did I say that already?!!

Tiffany said...

HA! I LOVE that version of Pride and Prejudice, but I can say that I've never read Pride and Prejudice, I've got it on my Kindle, but for some reason I can't get into it....

Janet said...

I finally got to watch this and enjoyed it. I don't ever remember reading the book so I'll have to do that sometime soon.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi! Well, when I was in high school, we read the book. I had a very hard time getting into it and didn't know why.

Years later, which brings me to a year ago, I picked up the book again and tried to read it. Now I know what was wrong: it's all dialogue! I can't see, feel or touch any of the characters still.

But I do love the movies!
Thanks for the great post.

btw, I love that movie, too!

♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

MTeacress said...

Oh, I love both versions! I'm so glad you like it now. It is awesome.
BTW, I've been waiting and waiting impatiently to find out how the move went. *sigh*

Unknown said...

This is my all time favorite book... to read... And favorite movie...both versions. I have read the book over 20 times and just started it again, (yes, crazy I know). I love Jane Austin. Try Mansfield Park. It is am easier read and shorter, and warms you up for P&P.