Friday, March 26, 2010

Beyond the Introductions...

We all know what it's like to meet someone new. Whether you are introduced by someone else, or you are required to introduce yourself, there is a basic formula.

"Hi, I'm Kim. What's your name?"
"I'm Katelyn. It's nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you too."

*Slightly awkward silence follow*

"So... what are your interests?"
"I'm an aspiring author."
"Really? Me too! What do you write?"

And so on. We may or may not remember that person's name afterward, no matter how badly we try. But we've officially met. Now what?

It's fun to dig a little deeper, and really get to know them. What makes them tick. Why do they do things the way they do? What unusual things do you both have in common? This type of getting-to-know-you takes time. We don't usually learn a person's cousin's friend's dog's name during our first conversation.

I thought it would be fun to start a weekly series, where I will explain one of my person characteristics. Maybe expose a little more of what makes me who I am. Maybe I can get to know some of you a little deeper in the process.

Random tidbit about me - Week 1:


I love notebooks. I don't think love is a strong enough word. I practically worship them. (I said practically!) I think it's kind of like a foot fetish, only I can't be sure, because I don't actually like feet.

Notebooks make me happy. Especially brand new ones. They're so crisp and clean. All those blank pieces of paper, just waiting for me to cover them with ink.

I have them in all sizes. I have side-bound, top-bound, spiral, and non-spiral. Some have cute covers. Some have plain covers.

I can usually find at least one notebook in every room of my house. There is almost always one in my bag. Or two.

I can't think without a notebook in my hands. Oh, and a pen usually helps too. Even if I only make one note, or write down one item on my To-do list, I've learned that I can relax, as soon as I've written it in a handy-dandy notebook.

And then life can go on, until I need to reach for that beloved notebook, once again.

7 comments:

mitchowl said...

I love notebooks too. I tried doing the electronic personal planner, but there's just something so much more satisfying about putting a pen to paper.

So, something we have in common, eh?

Angie said...

Hi there. Found you from Elizabeth's blog. I loooooove notebooks too. It is not possible to have too many notebooks. I write everything out by hand, so I can't live without my notebooks. Plus I need others for jotting down ideas, doing the planning, grocery lists. Whatever. Long live notebooks!

MTeacress said...

Hi! I think we met at Valor's book launch last week. It's good to find your blog (via Elizabeth Mueller's). I may have to adopt your notebook habit. Mine is journals and they're too expensive. :)

Anonymous said...

I love notebooks also. One of my Christmas gifts this year from the hubby was a stack of 20. =D

Cranberryfries said...

It's really bad around here cause both my husband and I love notebooks. I like the lined ones for writing and my hubby likes the blank ones for his art work. We have shapes and sizes and colors and hardbound and spiral bound and etc. But they're all just so lovely! :)

(PS if you're into tags, you've been tagged on my blog though you're kinda doing the tidbit thing already :P)

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi Kim! I love notebooks, too! Nice, neat, blue lines racing across from one end to the other. Especially if they smell like fireworks. (I know, I'm weird).

Melanie Jacobson said...

I relate to this at a deep and neurotic level.