Monday, March 1, 2010

Optimistic Mondays – March and Monday

It’s my favorite day of the week – Monday! And to top that off, it’s also the beginning of a new month. Both on the same day! What more could anyone ask for? Seriously. It’s like a perfect alignment of the stars. I’m ready to take charge of the week. I’m ready to have a productive month of March. And it’s a good thing too, since I have so much to do!

I’ve been writing the Optimistic Mondays posts for six months now, and I have many new readers since I started. I’ve copied the original Optimistic Monday Post, to explain my purpose:


When I was a teenage, I worked at the Hogle Zoo. I was a manager of a concession stand, and I had a set schedule. I worked Tuesdays and Thursday-Sunday. I always had Mondays and Wednesdays off. We always had the radio on in the back part of the building, and I remember one song in particular. The words to it were "It's just another manic Monday. I wish it were Sunday, cause that's my fun day...." I had made up my own little version, and sang, "It's just another manic Sunday, I wish it were Monday..." Monday's were a welcome relief after a busy weekend at the zoo.


Most people look forward to Fridays, and dread Mondays. There was a time in my life when I was the same way. When I worked in an office from 9-5, Monday - Friday, I loved Fridays. Don't get me wrong, I loved my job. But I still welcomed the weekend. Now that I'm a stay at home mom, the weekend doesn't mean quite the same thing. Yes, Todd is home, and it's nice to spend time with him. But my job doesn't stop just because it's the weekend. I still have to feed and dress the kids. I still have to wash dishes and do the laundry.


But there is something special for me about Mondays now. It's a fresh start. A new beginning. If I didn't do as well as I wanted to with something during the week, I decide that on Monday, I'll do better. Did I over eat this week? Did I not exercise as much as I wanted? Did I not get the house cleaned? It's okay, on Monday I will start fresh. I will do better. And there's even more refreshing news. If I slip up half way through the week, and don't keep up with my new found determination to succeed at whatever I had decided to do: It's only 3 or 4 more days until another Monday! A new fresh start. It's a wonderful cycle.


So as March begins, I’m ready to challenge myself, and exceed my own expectations. February may as well be written off completely. What did I even accomplish? Next month, I plan to have a long list of accomplishments!

What are your goals for the week? How about the month?

Happy Monday Everyone!

3 comments:

Andrea :) said...

Yeah -- Where did February go?

Mondays are the beginning of my week. I love Mondays. I'm looking forward to a productive and great week, and month!
Yay for March! Bring on Spring.

Heather Moore said...

Mondays are my favorite day of the week. I don't really have an official goal this month, but a long list of check-offs :)

This Place is a Disaster! said...

When we were so poor I had to work really hard as a mom. Durring the week I dpent hours making food from scratch and preparing the necessitiies for my family. I LOVED Sundays, since my work was home things I could put aside all laborious efforts and take a break. My list of things that needed to get done would grow and gnaw at me all day, yet I would force myself to take a Sunday break. I couldn't wait until Monday to get going on my list of things to get done, sewing, baking, cooking and preparing. That was when it was fun, now all too often it seems to be hum0drum and blahsome!