Friday, March 19, 2010

Too Good to Last?

You know the feeling where everything is going so well, that you worry about what tragedy awaits you just around the corner? I'm experiencing that right now. And it's spider related. Allow me to explain.

I am deathly afraid of spiders. Not the "scream like a girl" kind of scared, but more like the "paralyzed with fear, creepy crawly for the rest of the day" kind of scared. I can't handle them. Okay, so the small ones aren't so bad. I can handle them. But the big ones with long hairy legs and bodies the size of small coins, I just can't deal with. (Don't even get me started on the time I found one crawling on me in my own bed!)

And every now and then, I walk down to my basement, and discover just such a disgusting creature. It's enough to make me vow never to walk down there shoeless again, lest I should actually step on one with my bare feet (shudder).

So for the last couple of months, I've almost been expecting to find one (or two, don't they come in pairs?) waiting to greet me. And it hasn't happened. Yet.

Now, every time I head downstairs, I'm on the lookout. I just know it will happen soon. It's bound to. And I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for it. Maybe I should start carrying around a can of mace, just in case.

7 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Dude, I'm so with you on this! I don't like any animals with more than two legs. And even ducks scare me. So watch out!

Andrea :) said...

LOL, You should have been in my basement last night! I went down to change laundry and found a creepy full-grown spider that is red, with a pale yellow abdomen. *shudder* I'd never seen them until I moved here, but they are creepier to me than seeing a black widow. At least black widows are interesting looking. These are just pure horrifyingly disgusting.

I squashed it with the kitty litter bucket. Phew! But then I look down, and not even a foot away was ANOTHER one! Those kitty litter buckets are my friend. :)

I can't step on spiders. I have to take the shoe off and reach over to slap-smoosh it (I think I even close my eyes), then scurry back a few steps hoping I got it.

Of course, all this is done when my daughter is NOT looking, because if she saw the spider, she would say, "Oh, look! It's happy spider! He's come to say hello. Isn't he sooo adorable?"

mitchowl said...

Spiders have never bothered me. but mice. Ewwwww. I just wrote another mouse episode on my blog.
{{shudder}}

J.R. Johansson said...

Arachnophobia runs in my family. Two of my aunts have broken bones either trying to kill or running away from spiders. They're really a hazard to our health. ;)

This Place is a Disaster! said...

beeline Pest Control. They get rid of it all! I have them come quarterly!

Suzette Saxton said...

I'm just like this! And if a bug comes in my house, it dies. ;)

Victoria Dixon said...

Right there with you, Kim. Spiders and ticks. Guuuhhhh. I've got the willies just thinking about 'em.